Saturday, January 2

Oki Doki: More Than Just Okey-Dokey

Longing for a Japanese izakaya, I finally took the plunge and visited Oki Doki in Tustin earlier this week. It recently replaced Osaka Kappo, another place I waited and waited to eat at until it was gone.

Glad that I had the chance to sample the largely authentic fare at OD... my friend and I also had a very amicable server from Osaka who graciously handled my questions to see just HOW authentic the food would be. It was great Japanese practice.

The dishes:
  • 焼きなす: Not in my preferred style w/roasted skin & topped w/miso, but still delicious in a pool of ポン酢.
  • からあげ: No karaage, NOWHERE, can top that of a dear friend who always cooks it for me when I visit her in 横浜. Still, it was the best I've had while eating out in So Cal.
  • まぐろ刺身: Rich red color, deftly sliced. Melted on tongue. Yum. Edible and tasty garnishes just like in 日本. Darn it, I wish they sold 大葉 at the Korean markets around here.
  • 串揚げ: A set of 10 different veggies and meat. One complaint: Just tonkatsu sauce for dipping?! I had to pester our server for other accoutrements.

No comments: